City of Stockton , California
$10,202.48 - $13,094.15 Monthly
No Application Deadline
The Deputy Public Works Director position is a great opportunity to work within a fast-paced environment while enriching the quality of life within Stockton. The Public Works Deputy Director will oversee the Public Works Departments’ Operations & Maintenance division. This position reports to the Director of Public Works and will serve as liaison for the department to other city departments, divisions, elected officials, the public, and outside agencies. The Public Works Deputy Director will be responsible for the operation of the following maintenance sections: engineering, streets, traffic devices, fleet, facilities maintenance, trees and parks. The position will provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Public Works Director, and deliver leadership, training, and mentoring to division managers and supervisors. This position will oversee approximately 100 full-time employees spread amongst the division. In Public Works, employees work together to support one another, and we recognize the importance of work-life balance. We are committed to Stockton’s values of fostering a healthy, supportive and professional environment,
appreciate the strengths of each individual, and strive to make Stockton a great place to live and work.
• Thinks strategically and makes
• Action and results oriented
• Strives for excellent customer
• Great communicator
• Political and organizational savvy
• Ability to handle conflict
• Personnel management
• Adeptly allocates resources
• Relationship building
• Customer focused
• Promotes teamwork
• Honest and ethical leader
• Plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs work of the division to which
• Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies,
procedures, and work standards for the division.
• Develops and implements management systems, procedures and
standards for program evaluation.
• Directs the preparation of a variety of studies and reports relating to
current and future division needs, develops specific proposals to meet
these needs, and develops annual plan and budget for related
programs provides technical assistance to staff.
• Plans and directs capital replacement of equipment and improvements.
• Plans and manages work performed by third-party contractors.
• Directs the preparation and administration of the division budget.
• Directs the selection, supervision and work evaluation for division staff
and provides for their training and development.
• Prepares or reviews reports for the City Manager or City Council; works
closely with Council and other groups to explain and coordinate plans
for proposed projects and/or respond to their concerns.
• Confers with other departments and division representatives
concerning services provided by the division.
• Coordinates the work of the division with that of other divisions,
departments and outside agencies.
• Liaison with other local, state and federal agencies as needed to
collaborate and/or participate in local, regional and national programs
affecting scope and work of the division.
• Confers with political and other elected officials regarding the needs
and work of the division.
• Ensures adherence to applicable laws, codes, regulations, and
guidelines related to the activities of the division.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major course work in civil
engineering, management, or a related field and five (5) years of supervisory experience in public works activities related to
the assigned division.
• Specified positions may require possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license.
• Deputy Public Works Director (PE) requires possession of a valid registration as a California Professional Civil Engineer
Deputy Public Works Director
Monthly: $10,202.48 - $10,724.83 - $11,275.20 - $11,851.19 - $12,452.85 - $13,094.15
Annual: $122,429.76 - $128,697.96 - $135,302.40 - $142,214.28 - $149,434.20 - $157,129.80
Deputy Public Works Director (PE)
Monthly: $10,552.28 - $11,093.04 - $11,661.47 - $12,250.65 - $12,884.81 - $13,542.02
Annual: $126,627.36 - $133,116.48 - $139,937.64 - $147,007.80 - $154,617.72 - $162,504.24
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
TENTATIVE INTERVIEW DATE: TBD
No location specified