Applications reviewed on a weekly basis
The City of San Rafael is recruiting for a Child Care Director. Under the direction of the Recreation Supervisor, this position will perform responsible work in administering and managing a state-funded preschool program. The incumbent in this position will independently oversee the program and staff at Pickleweed Preschool located in East San Rafael.
This position performs the following essential job duties:
- Assist with the establishment of the program budget
- Hire, train, and supervise staff
- Supervise timely completion of annual ECERS
- Supervise completion of DRDP assessments twice annually
- Supervise timely completion of parent surveys
- Supervise timely completion of two parent conferences annually
- Supervise timely ongoing child portfolios
- Supervise and implement systems for creating and maintaining regular written child observations
- Complete annual June 1st report to Department of Education
- Schedule staff and ensure appropriate staffing levels are maintained
- Facilitate parent nights for families four times per year
- Liaison with parents and school districts
- Function as classroom instructor
- Approve Child Care Instructor II curriculum and plans
- Organize regular staff meetings
- Oversees referrals of children for assessment and special services
- Complete annual written evaluations of all staff
- Perform other duties as required.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge/skill of:
- Early Childhood Development
- Curriculum models such as CLASS and Pyramid training
- Classroom management techniques
- Appropriate disciplinary techniques.
- Oral and written communications skills
- Group leadership and teaching skills
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Ability to organize and manage child files for licensing.
- Ability to report any unusual incident involving parents and staff to administration and licensing
- Ability to work within established budget and order supplies for program.
- Ability to schedule and approve staff vacations, sick leave and other personal leaves.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, staff, parents, and community representatives.
- Ability to work independently in carrying out a comprehensive program.
- Willingness to support and carry out the goals and objectives of the Child Care program.
Education and/or Experience:
- AA Degree or 60 units, with 24 ECE units plus 6 administrative units and 2 adult supervision units and one year working in a preschool program, AND/OR
- Site Supervisor Permit.
- Must be willing to work the hours required for the assigned Center.
- Possession of California Driver’s License preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to lifting or carrying children or heavy items (up to 40 lbs.) unassisted, reaching, bending, standing, or walking. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, or balance, twist, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-employment physical, background check, reference check, credit check, driving record, fingerprinting, and drug screen.
- Follow this link to apply:
Child Care Director (Pickleweed Preschool) Job Announcement.pdf
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $3,960 - $4,814 monthly, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees – 2.7% @ at 55 formula, single highest year of compensation;
- Tier 2 Employees – 2% @ 55 formula, highest three years of compensation.
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2% at 62 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $745.00; Employee+1 - $1,087.68 Employee+Family - $1,115.49; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance: $5,000 basic and long-term disability is two-thirds of the salary up to $1,000 per month
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premiums
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp
- Annual Leave: Vacation 10 days (1-3 years of service); 12 days per year; 11 holidays.
- And more......