About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top 10 cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. The City's Airport Department is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
Prior to the impact of COVID, the Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport (SJC) served more than 15 million passengers annually with 450 peak daily departures and arrivals on 13 international and domestic carriers to 50+ nonstop destinations. SJC has been one of America’s fastest-growing major airports over the past four-year period, based on percentage increase in passenger seat capacity. We are looking for team members who can work toward our Mission Statement to “Connect, Serve and Inspire” and our Vision Statement to “Transform how Silicon Valley Travels”. For more information about SJC, visit http://www.flysanjose.com.
Positions & Duties
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in this classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
The Airport Operations Manager position is a senior level position within the Operations Division directly reporting to the Operations Division Deputy Director and responsible for providing key oversight and management of one of the four Sections within the Operations Division: Airside, Landside, Security and Terminal Management/Passenger Experience. The Operations Manager may temporarily serve in the Deputy Directors place as necessary.
The current position being recruited is located within the Landside or the Terminal Management/Passenger Experience Sections, however the selected individual may be rotated or reassigned to any of the four Airport Operations Manager positions for career growth or Division need as determined by the Department. Duties in the Sections may include responsibility for managing Airport Security, including ID badging, access control systems and the Airport Communications Center; Airside, including oversight for the coordination of emergency services, airport certification, commercial, corporate, and general aviation airside activities (including all aircraft movement and non-movement areas); Landside duties including management and coordination of ground transportation, parking, shuttle bus and curbside roadway activities; and/or Terminal Management / Passenger Experience duties including gate and common use systems, passenger experience oversight and communications. The position may be required to review and evaluate Airport construction projects related to Airport Operations, including terminals, roadways, runways, taxiways, and associated ramp/apron areas. The successful candidate will have strong knowledge of the operations and management of a major airport, aviation and airport industry standards, policies, practices, and rules, including FAR Parts 139, and 77 and CFR 1542 as well as applicable best practices related to all areas of Airport Operations. Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess strong customer service skills and knowledge of financial practices relating to prepare and administer the airport's operating budget and experience with the management of contracts and permits.
Key responsibilities for the Airport Operations Manager position may include:
- Assist in the preparation of ordinances for airfield rules and regulations, ground transportation, vehicular traffic and the operation of airport surface and garage parking facilities; Consult and provide direction to implement Airport System operational policies;
- Provide recommendations concerning parking management policies and procedures;
- Serve as the Airport Security Coordinator and primary liaison with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on security matters;
- Serve as primary liaison with local partners including SJPD, SJFD, FAA Air Traffic Control, FBI and other law enforcement and emergency responders;
- Open and close airport to aircraft operations based upon conditions and safety issues;
- Utilize knowledge of Airport/Airline property management/real estate principles and practices;
- Coordinate rescue and post-accident recovery operations;
- Enforce Federal, State, and local rules and regulations governing airport use;
- Establish, direct, publish and maintain standard operating procedures for their Section and the Division;
- Direct the publication of rules and regulations governing the use of airport facilities;
- Ensure air traffic and safety regulations are consistent with Federal standards;
- Assist in the formulation of plans for airport and aviation development;
- Assist the Airport's legal counsel in current matters relating to Federal, State and local law, which affect operating decisions and plans; and
- Manage Section budget in line with Division and Departmental budgetary practices
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
Analytical Thinking - Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Customer Service – Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
Fiscal Management - Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
Management - Evaluates priorities to ensure the 'true' top priorities are handled satisfactorily; sets clear goals for the employees and the work unit.
Supervision - Sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.
Education and Experience
Airport Operations Manager I
Bachelor’s degree in aviation or closely related field AND six (6) years of experience in the aviation field, including two (2) years at the level of Airport Operations Superintendent I or higher. Aviation experience is typically gained by working for the following types of organizations: airport, airline, fixed based operator, airport related contractor, aviation related government agency or military aviation.
Airport Operations Manager II
Bachelor’s degree in aviation or closely related field AND two (2) certifications from an airport industry professional organization AND eight (8) years of experience in the aviation field, including two (2) years at the level of Airport Operations Manager I.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.)
Possession of a valid State of California driver's license may be required for some assignments.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application. Candidates are required to satisfactorily complete and pass a fingerprint based Criminal History Records Check prior to being considered for a position in this class at the Airport. This Airport position requires a background check and a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) check. The candidate must be fingerprinted and qualify under all applicable TSA and Airport regulations.
To apply, please complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers. The final filing date for this job announcement is May 12, 2021.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1) Indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications (Select all that apply):
- I do not meet the minimum qualifications.
- I have at least a Bachelor's Degree in in Aviation Management, Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field.
- I have at least six (6) years of increasingly responsible professional analytical and management experience in the aviation industry.
- I have at least two (2) years of recent airport management experience at the level of an Airport Operations Superintendent or equivalent.
2) Please describe your airport/aviation experience managing, directing, planning and organizing the functions and responsibilities associated with the safe and secure operation at an Airport in Airside, Landside, Terminal Management/Passenger Experience and Security functions, with an emphasis on landside, terminal management and passenger experience related experiences.
3) Provide an example of a project or program you have managed and your challenges and successes managing the project or program.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Kit Kwan at firstname.lastname@example.org.