Mayor and City Council
$51,878.31 - $80,955.39 Annually
Open Until Filled
01/07/2021 09:24 AM PST
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. The San José City Council is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The San José City Council consists of ten Councilmembers elected by district and a Mayor elected at-large, each for four-year terms. The Mayor and Council are responsible for representing the residents of San José , providing accountability, reviewing public policy and programs, and adopting those policies which best meet the needs of the residents, visitors, and businesses in San José.
Councilmember Magdalena Carrasco, for Council District 5, is recruiting for a Community Relations Coordinator. The selected individual may be classified as Community Relations Representative, depending upon job duties and relevant education and experience. The position will be focused on community needs. Education and experience in the fields of web design, web content, public information and public relations is highly desirable.
The following are examples of the types of job duties and responsibilities the selected individual may be responsible for:
* Proficiency in the use of computer software and hardware in the design, preparation, and posting of web content
* Assisting the Councilmember and staff prepare memorandums and other public information related to Citywide events, meetings and a variety of neighborhood and City issues
* Assist with social media management and updates.
* Working with and assisting Neighborhood Associations and constituents needs.
Employees in this classification are not members of the classified civil service and are appointed "at will" with no property right to continued employment. Each appointment is for a specified period of time to be determined by the appointing Councilmember and does not extend past the end of the elected official's or appointing authority's term. This unclassified position requires a disclosure of outside investments, real property interest, income and business positions.
Any combination of training and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to advise the Council member on matters of public policy, democratic process, constituent service or citizen involvement.
-Education: BA in Communications, Public Relations, English, Political Science, Graphic Design or other related field.
-Experience: Two or more years experience of public or customer service, public relations, communications, or recreation programming experience is required.
-Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will offer the following abilities and knowledge, as demonstrated in employment history or other experience:
* Writing and Computer Skills: Strong writing skills are essential. Ability to write in a concise, direct, professional style is a must.
* Ability to develop and maintain effective relations with constituents, co-workers, and others with a positive and professional demeanor and style when working in public is essential.
* Ability to complete work assignments in a quick and efficient manner with minimal assistance from others, to work in a team environment with other staff members in a small office.
* Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
* Ability to carry out and promote the Councilmember's agenda and direction regardless of personal philosophies.
* Ability to work in the evenings and on weekends as needed.
* Knowledge and ability to effectively utilize social media and other electronic communications including the ability to manage and create webpage content.
* Knowledge and ability to write letters, memoranda, and reports; proficiency developing media advisories and public information such as brochures, flyers or other media as necessary.
* Knowledge and ability to communicate effectively including listening, written and oral communications skills.
* Knowledge of and ability to use a variety of computer hardware and software including Microsoft Word; Excel; PowerPoint.
* Bilingual language skills (Vietnamese, Spanish, and/or Chinese), both oral and written skills are desirable but not required.
Selection ProcessThe selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which will include a writing exercise.You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
- Please describe a specific example of a successful team experience, your role and responsibilities, and the techniques you used to develop and maintain excellent working relationships, which resulted in the timely and effective delivery of a project, product, or service.
- Please describe your work style and the techniques you use to manage your responsibilities and your desk.You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Charu.firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled and applications are reviewed; therefore, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
California Equal Pay Act: http://www.sjcity.net/DocumentCenter/View/18980
No location specified