City of San Jose , California
$46,363.20 - $56,305.00 Annually
08/20/2020 11:59 PM PDT
The Department of Public Works is responsible for delivering capital improvement projects for a wide variety of City facilities and infrastructure, maintaining City facilities and fleet assets, facilitating and regulating development activities, and providing animal care and services. The Department is committed to high-quality service, partnering with the community, and providing an excellent environment in which to work.
San José Animal Care and Services, a division in the Department of Public Works is accepting applications for a full time (40 hours/week) Animal Health Technician. This position will be responsible for providing paraprofessional medical care and treatment to shelter animals.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to -
· Checking and monitoring the health of animals, as well as rendering first aid and emergency treatment
· Assisting shelter veterinarians in surgery, spay/neuter and other medical procedures
· Maintaining pharmaceutical and other medical supplies; cleaning of kennels/ cages
· Feeding and caring for animals
· Humanely performing euthanasia, as required
This position will be required to work weekends, holidays, nights and rotating shifts, respond to emergency animal services assignments during off-duty hours, and wear a uniform.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Physical RequirementsEmployees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 100 pounds while handling animals and equipment. Employees may be exposed to cold and hot temperatures, loud noises, odors, dust, air contaminants, blood borne pathogens while using hypodermic needles on animals and may be exposed to animal scratches and bites.
1. Education: Completion of a high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) Certificate or a California Proficiency Certificate
2. Experience: One (1) year of experience handling and caring for animals.
3. Licenses or Certificates:
· Incumbents may be required to pass a “breed" test and a “symptom of disease” test within one year following employment.
· Current California license in good standing as a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) is required.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
JOB EXPERTISE - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations, including:
· Ability to perform pre-op surgical procedures, including the administration on anesthesia
· Ability to handle animals humanely and safely, and properly control animals that may be sick or injured.
· Ability to read and comprehend the laws, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to animal licensing and vaccinating requirements.
· Knowledge and comprehension of Federal, State, and local laws, ordinances and regulations pertaining to the care, housing, treatment and impounding of animals
· Knowledge and exposure to all activities occurring in high volume public animal shelter - Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records.
· Ability to learn the basic characteristics, behavior, and common breeds of domestic animals.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using a professional demeanor.
COMPUTER SKILLS - Experienced with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel
MULTITASKING - Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
TEAMWORK & INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills
COMMUNICATION SKILLS - Effectively conveys information and express thoughts and facts clearly, orally, and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
RELIABILITY - Completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner, fulfills responsibilities, and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
There will be an initial application review on August 6, 2020, and a final application review after the job posting closes on August 20, 2020.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process may consist of one or more interviews.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
1. Describe your experience caring and handling domestic animals in a facility that typically cares or shelters domestic animals. Specifically identify the duties you have performed, where you obtained experience and the dates of your employment. If you do not have experience, indicate N/A.
2. Please describe your experience checking on the conditions of sheltered animals. What are the things that you would observe or look for on a daily basis? If you do not have experience, indicate N/A.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Colin Braslin via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Equal Pay Act: http://www.sjcity.net/DocumentCenter/View/18980
The application deadline is 11:59 PM on August 20, 2020. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
No location specified