$4,936.00 - $5,997.00 Monthly
No Application Deadline
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Communications Dispatcher I is the entry-level class in this series.Under supervision, the Communications Dispatcher I performs a variety of specialized duties in connection with communications dispatch functions. Communications Dispatcher I operates a variety of communications equipment, including two-way radio, telephone and radio-paging services, to dispatch and transmit information with mobile field units and communicate with the public.
1. Operates a variety of communications equipment and information transmitting devices such as, multi-line telephones, two-way radio and pager systems utilized to receive information, request reports and emergency calls from a number of mobile radio field units and telephones, or to transmit messages to field units and/or to route calls to proper bureau or detail for action.
2. Verifies and evaluates messages received to determine if information is accurate and may follow up to ensure proper receipt and understanding to determine type of action necessary and appropriate staff and/or agency to be notified.
3. Dispatches mobile units and equipment to specific work locations, including locations where traffic control, citing and towing services are needed; makes phone requests for ambulance, tow-truck or other emergency services; makes inquiries of other agencies as requested by field units; reads maps and gives directions on how to get to location of emergency.
4. Records essential information and facts from messages transmitted or received by radio and telephone by entering and retrieving data from computer, time stamping and logging messages for permanent record keeping, maintaining continuous records of the status of units assigned, and maintaining a regular log of all messages transmitted and received by radio and telephone.
5. Assists communications dispatchers to coordinate communications emergency procedures by working with staff from various City departments (e.g., Police, MUNI, Fire, Sheriff & PUC,) and communications dispatchers from 911 and DPW, during accidents, emergencies and natural or other disasters.
6. Transmits alarm information to supervisor on duty when the department needs assistance; notifies the Police department daily of streets scheduled for no-parking zones; prepares records and performs other clerical duties related to this procedures. May monitor surveillance equipment and intrusion alarms from on-site buildings.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
APPOINTMENT TYPE: TEMPORARY AS-NEEDED. This position is for as-needed (on-call assignments) for up to a maximum of 1040 hours. This position is excluded by the charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. In order to be considered for a permanent appointment, incumbent will be required to successfully compete in a Civil Service Examination.
WORK LOCATION: Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the San Francisco Public Works, 2323 Cesar Chavez Street, San Francisco, CA 94124.
NATURE OF WORK: The nature of the work may require working variable shifts including weekends and holidays.
One year of verifiable experience operating a two-way radio communications base station, receiving, recording and transmitting messages from one source to another;
Combined total of one year of verifiable experience operating a multi-line telephone, and a two-way radio communications base system. Six months of this experience must have been operating a two-way radio base station.
Applicants must fully meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing deadline unless otherwise stated.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
2323 Cesar Chavez Street
San Francisco, CA 94124