Join a professional and progressive department that is LOVED by its community…Join SBPD!
Want to work with dedicated people like yourself to make a real difference in the community? Have you been searching for a rewarding career?
Be a part of our dedicated team making a positive impact on the community!
We’re searching for a highly motivated and service-oriented Code Enforcement Officer. This exciting position plays a crucial role in maintaining an attractive, healthy, safe and clean San Bruno Community.
In this role, you will not only bring your knowledge of code enforcement to our dynamic team, but also be an active partner with the residents of San Bruno in improving our community.
What you will do:
- You will investigate reports of possible code violations and initiate procedures for correction.
- Provide educational programs to inform citizens about the City’s requirements pertaining to zoning ordinances, building and housing codes, property maintenance, abandoned vehicles, animals, license regulations and other issues relating to the health, safety and welfare of the San Bruno Community.
- Serve as a City representative at meetings and community events and provide and maintain positive and proactive customer service.
In addition to graduation from high school and two years of experience including heavy public contact and the ability to pass an extensive background investigation, the ideal candidate will possess a positive attitude and maintain a successful track record of the following:
- Experience working in a customer-oriented field and keeping accurate records.
- Demonstrated interest in law enforcement; the ability to learn applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations; relate to the public in a professional, tactful and effective manner.
- Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities; using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
- Identifying and understanding problems and opportunities by gathering, analyzing, and interpreting quantitative and qualitative information; choosing the best course of action by establishing clear decision criteria, generating and evaluating alternatives, and making timely decisions; taking action that is consistent with available facts and constraints and optimizes probable consequences.
- Establishing and sustaining trusting relationships by accurately perceiving and interpreting emotions and behavior; leveraging insights to effectively manage your responses so that your behavior matches your values and delivers intended results.
- Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Effectively manage your time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Working effectively with individuals of diverse cultures, interpersonal styles, abilities, motivations, or backgrounds; seeks out and uses unique abilities, insights, and ideas from diverse individuals.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one current Code Enforcement Officer vacancy and may be used to fill future full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list. For a full, detailed class specification, click HERE .
Check out our excellent benefits!
- CalPERS retirement formula of 2.7% @ 55 for classic members or 2% @ 62 for new members
- Annual accruals of 10-23 vacation days based on years of service, 14.5 holidays and 12 sick days
- Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5%
- Matching deferred compensation of up to $300 per year calculated on a biweekly basis
- Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
- Life Insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
- Long-term disability insurance provided at no cost
- Home loan assistance program
- Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at www.calopps.org. The City of San Bruno utilizes a merit-based selection system. Such a system is competitive and based on broad outreach efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to take part in a process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position.
For further information or questions regarding this position, please contact Police Captain Jeremy Brandenburg at (650) 616-7113 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Human Resources related questions should be directed to (650) 616-7055 or email@example.com
What happens next?
- We will review your application and all supplemental materials to select the best qualified applicants to continue in the process. Screening will include a review of minimum qualifications, application appraisal rating of education, training and experience and relevance of background qualifications related to the target job as well as supplemental questions if applicable.
- Applicants selected to move forward in the process may be asked to participate in any combination of the following (at any phase of the selection process): a written examination, job related exercise, physical test or job simulation, phone interview, in-person or video interview(s), and/or web-based testing.
- Successful candidates will be required to complete an extensive background investigation which includes completion of a Personal History Questionnaire, and DOJ and FBI LiveScan clearance.
- The final phase of the selection process is the probationary period, which in most cases is one year, depending on your classification.
Reasonable Accommodations: The City of San Bruno Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the selection process to accommodate disabled applicants. Individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the process must inform the HR Department before the interview date by calling (650) 616-7055.
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, creed, age, physical or mental disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices.
01. Job Announcement - Code Enforcement Officer - Revised.pdf