Town of Ross , California
Public Safety - Police
$7,188.00 - $8,321.00 Monthly
Open Until Filled
No Application Deadline
An Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town of Ross values diversity in its workforce and is committed to actively pursuing a program of equal employment and non-discrimination.
The Department consists 8 sworn personnel as follows: The Chief of Police, two Sergeants and five Patrol Officers. The officers are generalists who typically handle cases from first response, through investigation, and onto final disposition. In addition, Officers frequently assist administrative staff duties and assignments to formulate departmental policies, procedures and tactics. The Department is well equipped and well trained.
An Officer is assigned to one of several patrol shifts. Those assignments usually rotate every six months. The Department is interested in providing a high level of training to all personnel who desire to increase their level of proficiency. Officers enjoy a 12 hour shift schedule, and are assigned to a specific patrol shifts, which are rotated every six months.
Minimum age: 21 years of age at time of appointment.
Education/ Experience/License: High school diploma or equivalent. Graduation from a P.O.S.T. approved Basic Law Enforcement Academy (within the last 3 years). Possession of a valid California driver license during all period of employment.
Knowledge of: English usage, spelling and punctuation, and interview techniques necessary to obtain investigative and personal data. Typing and computer skills: working knowledge of personal computers, including word processing.
Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or must have applied for citizenship.
Free from any physical condition which would be disqualifying per the P.O.S.T. standards. A medical screening for California Law Enforcement. Weight in proportion to height. Satisfactory results on appropriate written, medical, background and psychiatric examinations.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Salary Range: $7,188 - $8,321 (Laterals may start at step commensurate with experience.)
• Retirement: PERS 2.7 @ 57 (Eligible Classic PERS laterals 3% @ 55. The employee pays their PERS contribution of 12%.
• Insurance: The Town pays medical and dental benefits for employee and family (employee pays $105 per month towards the cost of health insurance).
• Vacation: 11 to 25 working days annual vacation, based on the length of service.
• Holidays: Eleven paid holidays per year.
• Leaves: Personal, Family Care, and Sick Leave available.
• Uniform Allowance: The Town pays $1000/year.
• Educational incentive $125 - $250 dependent on College Education or POST certificates.
• Longevity pay of 2.5% after 5 years and 2.5% after 10 years of police service.
• Sick leave buyback program upon retirement.
• Overtime: At 1-1/2 time with choice of pay or comp time off.
Examination process will first consist of a review of application material. Processes following may include any of the following singularly or collectively; Written exam, oral exam, one-on-one interview with a Sergeant and/or Police Chief.
Prior to an employment offer being made, a thorough background check will be done. At the time employment is offered, applicants are required to successfully pass a medical and psychological examination and must be able to furnish proof of legal right to work within the United States. Candidates must not have been convicted by any state or by the federal government of a crime for which the punishment could have been imprisonment in a federal penitentiary or a state prison.
Interested applicants should submit a Cover letter, Resume and Town of Ross Employment Application found here to:
Chief of Police
Ross Police Department
Police Officer Job Description (131 KB)
No location specified