The Organization and Department
We are located at the center of a progressive economy that is recognized worldwide as a leader in cutting-edge technological, medical and green innovation. Our community is committed to cultivating an environment of creativity and life-long learning.
The Administrative Services Department (ASD) provides analytical, organizational, and administrative support for a wide variety of projects throughout the organization. The Department prides itself on a high-level of customer service to decision-makers, the public, employees, and other departments in the City. ASD records, monitors, and protects the City’s assets through essential financial management, including forecasting, budgeting, and financial reporting. ASD’s divisions include Accounting, the Office of Management and Budget, Purchasing, Treasury, Real Estate, Revenue Collections, Stores, and Administration. Learn more about the Administrative Services Department.
The Accounting Division
The Administrative Services, Accounting Division provides a wide range of in-house services unique to a smaller City like Palo Alto. The division is experiencing a unique opportunity for growth and development of current and new staff. As a Senior Accountant, you will have a chance to be a part-of and help redesign Palo Alto’s evolving accounting team.
The Career Opportunity
We are seeking someone who is eager to learn, creative in their craft of accounting, and a willingness to adapt. As an essential team member of the Accounting Division, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for achieving the Accounting Division mission of accurate, timely and reliable financial information for internal and external customers, including vendor payments, payroll and financial reporting. Palo Alto is a full-service City with its own Police and Fire Departments, several Enterprise Funds which provide utility services to residents and businesses, a very active Capital Projects Fund, Internal Service Funds and numerous Special Revenue Funds. This wide array of activity requires a broad range of accounting expertise and a highly skilled level of communication in order to liaise with other departments and external agencies.
The Ideal Candidates
- Experience with financial statement review and analysis in a governmental fund setting at an analyst or senior level.
- Ability to review and verify the accuracy of financial data and information and associated legal documents and make sound, independent judgements with essential guidelines
- Experience with managing one or more specific program areas in the Accounting Division such as payroll, fixed assets / capital projects, federal grants, accounts payable / receivable, general ledger, enterprise accounting and other program areas.
- Detail oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience preparing Annual Financial Report.
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB) Statements.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the work of accounting professionals.
- Ability to work with a variety of levels of staff, develop working relationships, and effectively communicate complex financial data.
- Self-starter: can take even the smallest project and run with it to the successful completion.
This posting may be used to fill multiple vacancies at various levels within Administrative Services, Accounting division. The levels may include: Senior Accountant and Accountant depending on candidate qualifications.
First review of applications will be on May 3, 2021.