The Public Works and Engineering Department in the Town of Moraga, CA is seeking interns to provide support to several programs. The position performs a wide variety of tasks in the field and/or office. Interns will assist Public Works teams on programs and projects that may include:
- Stormwater Management
- Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Projects – design and construction
- Storm Drain O & M
- Pavement Management
- Buildings and Facilities
- Land Development Engineering
- Policy, Procedure, & Standards Research and Development
- Record and Asset Management
- Transportation Requests and Analyses
Knowledge of AutoCAD, database programs, GIS, and engineering concepts are preferred but not required.
***First Review of Applications: June 1, 2020 ***
Duties may include:
- Assist engineering project managers with general clerical, administrative, and technical tasks for public works projects
- Responds to public inquires in person, by telephone and/or in writing
- Creating spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel
- Creating and editing CAD maps, designs and standards (AutoCAD)
- Updates geographic information system (GIS) maps and performs drafting functions
- Assist in construction inspection
- Performing field data collection or investigation and analyses
- Provides field surveys and public improvement inspections
- Performing field work for asset management and GIS inventory input
- Checking and performing mathematical calculations
- Investigating public concerns
- Entering data and creating reports in various software applications
- Internet research
- Compiling and organizing data or documents
- Compiles comprehensive reports and related information for decision-making process.
- Assist in other areas such as internal and external communication and public outreach
- Document imaging and electronic document filing
- Other projects depending on the intern’s time and interests
- Performs other related duties as required that may not be specifically listed in the job description, but are within the general responsibility level associated with this class.
Job Announcement URL:
Ideal candidates are applicants that are currently enrolled in Bachelors of Science or Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field.
Applicants must have a valid California Driver’s License (Class C).
The ability to lift and manually transport field survey and inspection equipment and work in a variety of weather conditions is also required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate workload
- Ability to work independently and within teams
- Ability to learn new information quickly
- Exhibit a positive attitude and flexibility in accepting assignments
- Flexibility to take on various tasks within various divisions of Public Works
These are non-benefited temporary positions. A temporary employee may not work more than 1000 hours per year (July 1 through June 30) and will receive sick leave in accordance with State Law.
The Town of Moraga is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis protected by law. The Town is committed to making its jobs, programs and facilities accessible to all persons and complies with applicable law. Applicants with disabilities who require accommodations in the recruitment, testing or selection process may call (925) 888-7033.
Contact phone extension: