$43.12 - $52.41 Hourly
First Review Feb 1st
No Application Deadline
Under general supervision, the Property and Evidence Community Service Officer properly receives, maintains, and disposes of property and evidence maintained by the Police Department; and does other related work as required.
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS
KNOWLEDGE OF: Evidence and property processing and storage, including chain of custody procedures; functions, principles, and practices of law enforcement agencies; operations and authority of the Police Department and the district attorney’s office; local, state and federal law enforcement databases; applicable federal, state and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility; principles of evidentiary record keeping; modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work; english usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation; techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors and City staff.
SKILL AND ABILITY TO: Prioritizing work, coordinating activities and following up as required; developing and maintaining accurate records and files; communicating tactfully and effectively; operating modern office equipment, including computer equipment; learn the City of Los Altos and Police Department operating procedures; comprehend, interpret and apply the provisions of penal, vehicle, city and other legal codes; organize and operate a storeroom; act with resourcefulness, courtesy and initiative with a minimum of direct supervision; communicate tactfully and effectively with supervisors, coworkers, and members of the community; prepare neat, thorough and concise reports; write and speak at a level required for successful job performance; speak before groups for the purpose of providing information or explaining procedures, policies and regulations; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; establish, maintain and foster positive, harmonious, and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; present a neat, well-groomed, and professional appearance.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS: Is highly professional, patient, respectful, and ethical; possesses excellent problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. Enjoys working in a small-town atmosphere with an engaged public, including merchants, property owners and residents.
This is a part-time, temporary position. Approximately 20 hours per week.
$43.12 to $52.41. hourly DOE
The recruitment will remain open until the position is filled with the first review on February 1, 2021. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a livescan background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
Temporary employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Since the City does not participate in Social Security and is required to provide an alternative retirement plan, you are required to participate in the City's defined contribution retirement plan through Nationwide where 3.75% of your gross compensation per pay period is deducted and put into the plan. The City matches this 3.75% for a total contribution of 7.5% of your gross compensation per pay period.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Los Altos is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Los Altos upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
1 N San Antonio Rd
Los Altos, CA 94022