City of Folsom , California
$150,000.00 - $190,000.00 Annually
No Application Deadline
To be considered, candidates must submit a cover letter, comprehensive resume, and responses to the supplemental questionnaire. The position is open until filled. The first cut-off date is August 28, 2020 at 5:00pm.
Major responsibilities include:
• Serves as the City’s labor relations officer, and as chief negotiator during collective bargaining and meet and confer sessions. Identifies issues, develops strategies, and conducts research and analysis of alternative solutions.
• Oversees proper administration of the City Charter with respect to City personnel system, the personnel ordinance, personnel rules and regulations, and the City personnel merit system.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local employment laws, including educating managers and aligning programs and policies.
• Explains and interprets HR programs, policies, and activities to City Council Members, managers, employees, and outside organizations.
• Participates in overall City policy discussions and Council briefings, advises City Manager on HR issues, and leads in implementation of HR initiatives.
• Reviews department work products, coordinates multidepartmental activities, and prepares and presents staff reports.
• Develops and directs the implementation of goals and objectives of the department. Oversees and evaluates the work of HR staff and consultants.
• Prepares and administers the department’s budget.
• Optimizes HR technology to improve services, ensure the security of data, and support people-related analysis and decision-making.
The Human Resources Director will have knowledge and skills
in a variety of areas, including, but not limited to:
• Extensive knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies related to human resources, labor relations, and benefit fields.
• Ability to clearly and concisely interpret and communicate issues, ideas, data, and results to a variety of audiences, from employees to City Council Members.
• In-depth knowledge of governmental human resources programs, including classification and pay systems, benefit programs, recruitment and selection practices, workers' compensation programs, risk management, and training and development programs.
• Knowledge and skills in diversity training and related resources.
• Strong management skills, with a focus on data-driven actions and results.
• Excellent and extensive critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and process improvement skills.
• Ability to design and encourage a customer-oriented approach to human resource services and interact in a team environment.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including proficiency in developing and delivering presentations, influencing key stakeholders, listening actively, and developing relationships based on trust.
• Continuous learning approach and mindset.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and HR system design.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be:
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, Organizational Development, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. A Master’s degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, Organizational Development, or a closely related field is highly desirable
Minimum of six years of highly responsible experience in governmental human resources with a minimum of at least three years experience in collective bargaining. In addition, at least three years of experience in a management capacity.
License, Certification, Registration Requirements:
Possession of, or the ability to obtain and retain a California Class C driver license by the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
A SHRM, IPMA and/or Labor Relations certification is highly desirable.
No location specified